Sunday, October 19, 2008

Keeping the big picture the big picture

It seems these days that it is extremely hard not to focus on the little
things in life. I, myself am guilty of letting the little things like
cleaning the dishes and doing the laundry get me stressed out. When really,
looking at it- it's not that big of a deal if the dishes sit there for one
more day. My husband sometimes tells me I have Obessive Compulsive
Disorder, as I often disagree that I just like things clean and put away so
I have some sense of order in my life. With the economic climate, and many
fearing the future it's hard not to let go of these fears. Instead many
cling to these fears, as if clinging to them will make the situation any
better. We are running this race, and the more we cling to other than God
the harder it is to run since we have this extra weight we now run with. It
can make us exhausted, faint, and we lose stamina. God tells us in Jeremiah
29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you..." Let us not fear for the
future, fear for our economy, because we know where we are going in the end
anyway- right?

I am reminded of Hebrews
"(12:1) Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of
witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so
easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for
us. (12:2) Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our
faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its
shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

I love the idea of God being the author and perfector of my faith. I am so
imperfect, and I am such a perfectionist. Whether it be at work, or at
home, or with my baby... I always want to do everything perfect. When it
comes to my faith I constantly feel like I can never do anything just
right- thank goodness God is the author of my faith. As I read the verses
again, I imagine us as Christians running this race naked... Not in an
impure thought but metophorically naked. Holding onto nothing, wearing
nothing to weigh us down, not having anything that burdens us. We can run
free, with the wind blowing in our hair (ha ha) and all that good stuff.

So let us not lose hope in Christ as no matter what the outcome of the
economic crisis or presidential voting, Christ is on control and he is
placing foot stones that make a path for our future. We can't always see
the path or where it will lead us, but it His plan and we will trust in
that alone right now.

No comments: