Sunday, April 26, 2009

Holy Ground

I've recently heard over the years of Pastor's using shock value on a regular basis (i.e., using profanity, etc.) in order to make a point in a Sermon. I often wonder what God would think of this tactic. It's not that the pulpit alone is Holy Ground, but that no matter where we stand we are standing on Holy Ground. It's not that a Pastor standing on a pulpit saying those words alone makes it any worse than any other moment in a day or time. It's that anyone in a position of teaching should take that position so seriously that it wouldn't demean the high calling of being able teach God's people.

I think in this society it is far to easy to make a church "fit" the times. It is too easy to let the world around you affect you, in the way you act, the way you treat people, and in the way you speak. It's one thing to want to make a church more appealing to people who might normally be turned off to church, but at what price? So much that you sacrifice integrity of God's Word?

James 3:1-2 " 1Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. 2We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check."

James 3:5-6 "
5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark."

Ephesians 4:29 "
29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

In no way, shape, or form do I ever claim to be perfect! Like everyone else, I have flaws. I don't expect a pastor to be perfect because just like the rest of us they struggle with something just like we do. However, I could expect that maybe 1 time you would hear profanity in a sermon... but I do not expect this on a regular basis from any church. I heard an amazing sermon in 2005 given by Pastor Robert Elliot on John 14:12 and he was speaking in reference to this very matter and every time I hear another shock value sermon I go back to this... I transcribed it from his recorded sermon:

"He never misled, he never said anything that would give false hopes or draw a crowd and get people in around them and stir them up with no thought of the future, ah who cares if in ten years or twenty years their not here, as long as just now were getting a crowd. As long as just now were making people feel somethings happening. We'll say whatever it takes. Jesus never did that once, never once! "

I am sure I will get plenty of comments on this matter... always interested to hear other thoughts on the matter.

2 comments:

Krystal said...

Considering all kinds of media a sermon has to compete with to get people to pay attention to, of course your going to find shock sermons. They are necessary to reaching the part of the population that isn't going to listen otherwise. After all, whats more important, reaching believers, or reaching unbelievers. You may not like hearing a shock sermon, but just because your a Christian, doesn't mean every sermon was written just for you.

Kendrew said...

@Krystal-I agree, not every sermon is going to be written for me. Obviously, reaching unbelievers is the ultimate goal of Christ coming to earth. But even with that (competing and all), does the Word of God really need to be compromised? That's my only beef with using shock sermons.