Saturday, September 13, 2008

High Fructose Corn Syrup

I am not much of a big TV watcher but... I recently saw these commercials about High Fructose Corn Syrup. Don't be fooled that this is a natural ingredient. They genetically alter the fructose from corn to make this substance. I think it's hilarious that the commercials mention "just like sugar it's fine in moderation". The problem is they put this is almost everything we eat now... Bread, Juice, Crackers, Cereal! I mean come on, how can we have it in moderation when they put it in everything we eat, it's an absolutely ridiculous commercial to try and promote this substance when really it comes down to the bottom dollar. High fructose corn syrup is cheaper to produce and that is the only reason for the switch from regular table sugar. One thing I hate about the commercial, is that it makes health nuts look like we are idiots and we don't know why it's bad. It's a stereotype and I am sure there are plenty of people who act like that lady, it's just interesting that's all!

Here's the commercials, if you haven't seen them:





Also, here's an interesting video from a Registered Dietician on the subject:

No comments: