Sunday, June 22, 2008

Another week, Another new schedule, and a prayer request!

Tomorrow we start our new schedules for work and the baby. I will be starting my day at 5:30am instead of 6am because now I will be dropping off the baby at the sitter's at 7:30am and picking him up at the same time as always 2:30pm. Andrew will be starting work at 7am and getting off at now 3:30pm. This will definitely be hard at first- I will have to be dedicated to getting to bed on time for sure now. 5:30am comes tooooooo early for me!

Effective July 15th, Andrew will be promoted to his new, higher paying position! It means a lot more responsibility for sure, but will be really nice for us because it now looks like we might be able to afford a house a lot sooner than we had been planning. We are going to pay off some debts and then SAVE like crazy :) For me, the next couple of months I am looking at our annual raises which might only be like $0.30 more an hour for me but it is better than no raise at all and I will have NO complaints. My job really is such a jack of all trades at this point, I was covering for my co-worker Hortencia while she has been out the last week or so (see below) on Leave of Absences, and so I am jumping from one thing to the next at work and from one day to the next I don't know always what I am going to be doing for my job. My job description definitely doesn't seem to fit what I am doing anymore :)

My prayer request if for my co-worker Hortencia and her family, her husband was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) several years ago and up until the last couple of months has been able to stay at home with the help of his family and a wheelchair. With his disease it slowly disintegrates the use of your voluntary muscles, so he has been slowly not been able to use certain muscles. What's hard about this disease is that your mind stays sharp, but your body is what gives out and although he is all there and knows what's going on there is nothing he can do. He has had a trach put in so allow him to breathe and after a few weeks in an assisted living home was sent to the hospital for care. It has been an extremely frustrating road because of our state and federal systems set up for Medicare/Medi-Cal have denied her and her family financial help which has been such a shame because she is in need. Not only dealing with her husband's disease but having to fight the system for his benefits and his rights because he can't do it anymore. The Dr's treat her and him as though they shouldn't fight for him because he's going to die anyway and I think that is horrible. I really want to lift her and her family up in prayer, that if it is in God's will for her husband, Albert, to be healed. For her and her family to be given strength and courage during these challenging times, to not lose faith in Christ, and for God just to wrap His arms around this family and let them know that He loves them with an everlasting Love that goes beyond this life we have now. If you can, just keep them in your daily prayers as I know others will be praying for them as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A woman at my church (do you remember Ben's mom?) has been living with ALS for 15 years or so.Do you want her number? She's a great person to talk to if Albert wants to.

Bri

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendrew! I don't know that you use this page anymore or will ever see this, but thank you so much for your prayer requests. This is Jared, Hortencia's third born (one of the twins). Thank you for your post here and the one further along that you paid tribute to my dad. From the bottom of my heart thank you for my prayers, it's because of them I share a closer relationship with Christ than I ever have before.
With love and blessings,
Jared.