Monday, March 17, 2008

Holy week

This week signifies Holy week in the church, we use this week to remind us of the walk that Jesus took to Calvary, the sacrifice that continually wipes our slate clean. Let's use this week to be a servant to Christ. Just as Christ Jesus washed His disciples feet, so should we serve others. Let's take some time this week and decide what we can do for our surrounding community that might change the way people look at Christianity?

What kind of lives ought we live? The kind the focuses on money, maybe possessions, maybe even being fake? No, Christ calls us to live Holy and pleasing lives, ones that glorify His name and don't blemish His vision for His people. How do we live a Holy life when we are surrounded by people who cut us off in line at Target or almost side swipe us on the freeway, or just are plain mean? I think about this question everyday because in my own job I have sometimes situations that might come up that would normally upset some other people but I think I have learned to deal with them in a way that is calm and respectful. I think this sometimes sets a tone for how other people handle this situation as well. We are called to be the "bigger" person and turn the other cheek when others have wronged us.

This is not how society deals with someone who has hurt them. They go on myspace and post bulletins and bogs about how much they dislike someone. Or they completely ignore the issue hoping that someday it will go away. Just like with people who talk about wanting to lose weight and think that some pill or some surgery has fixed the problem. When really all they have done is masked the real issue. If you don't change you ways you will go back to the way things were before.

Unfortunately, I am generation Y (I think) and really we should be called generation "I think I am entitled to everything." For some reason my generation seems to think they are entitled to make a certain amount of money (because they've have earned it, only being in the working field like 3 years), they think they are entitled to respect even when they don't give it to anyone themselves, they think they are entitled to being first in line (only God knows why), they think they are entitled to having the "dream house" when they only make $20,000/year.... and I could just go on for hours because in my job I see it everyday with applicants who come in.

For instance, I had this young applicant get a hold of me to find out about his application and why he hadn't been called for an interview. I asked for his information and what position, and when I told him the position had been filled and we thank him for his interest in this position. I hang up the phone and about 2 minutes later my direct line rings again and it's the same applicant and he says to me in a nasty attitude "I just want to know what the other person had that I didn't have" If you could only see my face at this point, and I am think well with that kind of attitude no one will ever hire you, and you wonder why you're looking for a job. I simply responded, "It was filled by an internal candidate who has already been working that position for several months, Thank you and have a nice day!" What is up with the stinkin' attitude! If he thinks that I haven't flagged his application as "NO, don't ever hire!" by now, boy is he in for a rude awakening.

Anyway, what kind of lives ought we live? With the cross in sight and in view of God's sacrifice, ought we fight for what is right. Shouldn't we try to live blameless lives? I know I will make (and have made) mistakes and I have never once claimed that I am perfect... I just try to keep the cross in my sight so I can always look at it as a reminder when I am at my worst to remember that Christ was Holy and He was tempted in every way just as we were. So He DOES know what we go through and he understands our struggles. Just because we are saved doesn't mean we have to lose our fire, doesn't mean we give up on people who are lost, and it certainly doesn't mean that we can go up the alter call every Sunday as if it is Catholic confessionals. and wipe our slate clean. Living a Righteous Life I think means being consciously aware of the decisions we make and trying (even though we may fail) to do as Christ would do. Anyway, this is a pretty long blog for me... I have to call it a night for now.

No comments: