Monday, November 10, 2008

Veteran's Day!

How do we express our gratitude to the people who have protected our freedoms and our country. Every year I try and I think of the many ways I could and if I had the money say thank you, but I frankly don't have enough money to do so to every soldier serving. But anyway here is my measly attempt, first, I would like to thank my own Dad, Winslow for serving this country. He loves this country so much- for all it's good and it's bad and he is so brave to me. No matter how old I get I will still look up to him in this manner.

My Dad was a Marine in the Vietnam war, but if it weren't for God's hand of protection he and I would not be here today. My Dad had a mortar explode only an arms length away from him and only had some shrapnel that cut into his arm. Even that injury was enough to get him into the hospital. My grandma at home received a telegram which she only assumed the worst- that he has been killed but my Dad was still alive. He was injured but alive... and my Grandma always mentioned that she nearly passed out as she saw the soldier walking up to her house. My Dad did not leave Vietnam with just the physical scar but the emotional scars that he still carries with him today.

For him and every soldier out there that has to deal with the trauma that you never forget and you deal with every day, I am truly sorry and I want to extend the deepest gratitude for the service you have brought this country and the many freedoms so many people take for granted. I know our freedoms aren't free, and I know those who are risking their life have the most noble cause of all... and that is protecting our nation. Today, I give you a salute and say Thank you!

No comments: