Tuesday, February 05, 2008

So I tried

Today to vote, I went down to the registrar of voter's because I didn't know where I was supposed to vote, and I ended up walking like 1/4 of a mile because parking was so bad to vote there too. I got there and they told me I was still registered under my maiden name and I needed to change that as well as my address so I went ahead and made the changes and she said go ahead and stand in line and they will give you your ballot. So, I waited and waited and finally got up to the counter to get my ballot and they told me you can either vote democratic, independent, or only on the issues and not primaries. So I asked, how come I cannot vote Republican? The lady told me that because I marked "Choose not to disclose" on my party affiliation that the Republicans do not let me vote. I was like what the heck, I have never had this issue before? She said you can change it before the next election otherwise you will have the same problem again. I was so stinking mad, I WAS NOT about to vote for a democrat at this point and with the baby with me I ended up walking out because I still had to get diapers and pick Andrew up from work. So I feel like I have failed as Christian on this issue because I feel so obligated to vote and we have the privilege to I don't want to take that for granted. So guess what? Tomorrow, I am calling the Registrar of Voter's and changing my party affiliation so I can vote how I want to. Ugh! On the brighter side, I save some money buying diapers at Sam's club :) OKay and by tge way, I beg a question... Does Mitt Romney wear the "special underwear" since he claims to be mormon? Just food for thought!

2 comments:

Lee Jones said...

Hey there. The Republican primary election in California is a "closed" election, while the Democrats and Independents are "open" election. As an Independent or "decline to state" you can only vote in "open" primaries.

The Republican Party may have closed the primary to avoid registered Democrats for swaying the nomination of the candidate. If, for example, enough Democrats and Independents voted for Mitt Romney, the Democrats would have succeeded in choosing a weaker opponent to their own candidate.

Lee Jones said...

Oh, by the way, you can still vote for whomever you like for President. You don't get to choose who makes gets the nomination but you get to vote for the final outcome.