Tuesday, April 17, 2007

McChristians

" A friend of mine tell me that when he was a college student, a popular bumper sticker boldly stated "Jesus Christ- Yes, The Church- No!" Thought the bumper sticker is long gone, the sentiment has trickled down to a pervasive attitude of "Jesus Christ, Yes- The Church, When I need it and on my terms!"
These days church attenders are infected with a virus on conditional loyalty that has produced an army of church hitchhikers. The hitchhikers thumb says "You buy the car, pay for the repairs, unkeep, and insurance, fill the car with gas- and I'll ride with you. But if you get into an accident, you're on your own, and I'll probably sue!" Many church-goers have a similar agenda: "You go to meetings and serve on the boards and committees. You grapple with the issues, teach, entertain the children, and I'll come along for the ride. But if things do not suit me. I'll criticize and complain and I'll probably bail out. My thumb is always out for a better ride."

The "McChristian" mentality constantly checks to see what 's new on the menu ust in case there's a better deal down the street. "McChristians" have a telling vocabulary, using phrases such as "I go to" or "I attend" but not typically using the words "I belong to" or "I am a member of."

If you're a tried- and- true long-term member of a church, the following may or may not surprise you. "A 1999 George Barna Research poll showed that one in seven Americans change their church affiliationevery year, while one in six rotates between churches."

So here in the first decade of the new millenium, there's a phenomenon that would have been unimaginable in any other century- churchless Christians. There is a vast herd of professing Christianswho exist as nomadic hitchhikers without accountability, without discipline, without discipleship, without fellowship, living apart from the regular benefits of the ordinances."

- Taken from 'Disciplines of a Godly woman" by Barbara Hughes

1 comment:

Nicole Leonard said...

Wow. That research poll did surprise me. When Micah and I left FCC and were looking for another church home, I felt like a nomad. I felt "lost" in a sense and wanted to find my HOME. As soon as we knew Flipside was the place we wanted to stay, we asked about membership. It's important to us to "get plugged in" and make a committment to a body of Christ.

Cool excerpt. Thanks for sharing!

Hey, how are you feeling? No morning sickness? Are you still super tired?