Friday, November 04, 2005

Robert Elliot- John 7 sermon excerpts

"David knew God, enjoyed God, lived for God, was zealous for God, bound with a fire for God. Even in those circumstances he fell, he sinned, but he repented and pursued holiness. How much more ought we with the promise of the new covenant, the coming of the Spirit, those in whom he lives . How much more ought we enjoy God, know God, and glorify God. "

"We should be ashamed of our patheticness at times, our puniness, our toleration of sin in our lives, Putting up with just lives of mediocrity when it comes to a communion of God, knowledge of God, an enjoyment of God, and a celebration of who God is. We should be so ashamed of all that."

** We cannot be complacent in where we are in our faith. We need to be constantly seeking after God like David was, he was a man after God's own heart. We cannot tolerate living a life of mediocrity but seeking to live a life of righteousness and holiness. After I heard that sermon, I know that we are pathetic and we should be ashamed of how we live our lives. The Bible had men and women of righteouness Abraham, Moses, David, Ruth. We say we spend time in the Bible and praying but compared to how much we spend doing other things are we really spending time with God a lot. I know I am convicted of spending more time reading and praying, I know that I am pathetic and that I need to seek after holiness and righteousness so that God may favor me like did Noah and Abraham. I have a fire in me to work harder to be more like Jesus and be convicted more often of the things we need to do to glorify Christ. So that others will look at me without even me speaking and know without a doubt a follower of Christ. But even more than just a follower and believing the Word of God, but to be found evident that righteousness has been given to me by Christ. That he is living in me and that I exhale all that God is in daily living. Like Jeremiah (20:9) But if I say, "I will not mention him or speak any more in his name," his word is in my heart like a fire, a fire shut up in my bones. I am weary of holding it in; indeed, I cannot." I will not hold it in, like Jesus who spoke boldly to the people and was a bold witness. So I will strive to speak boldly when God has called me!

No comments: